Thursday, November 10, 2011

Blessed in my Bubble


I witnessed something truly disturbing a couple of days ago. First: a confession. I don't always remember how truly blessed I am. I have an incredible husband, wonderful children, a loving and supportive family that I live close to for the first time in eleven years. I lead a pretty charmed life. I have trials and tough days for sure, but it takes something like what I saw to put it in perspective.
Matt and I were on our way to a rock climbing class. As we were driving, we noticed the car next to us swerve erratically into the bike lane. I muttered something nice like, "That idiot is going to cause an acciddent!" We saw the passenger grab the head of the driver, and thought it was a couple of friends goofing around. We were approaching a red light and the car slowed down, but ran through the light. The driver then slammed on the brakes, and the driver's door flew open. A woman jumped out, raced around the back, and threw open the back passenger door. She grabbed a little girl from the back (looked about 7 years old) , grabbed the little girl's school bag, and took off sprinting down the street away from the car and remaining passenger. A man jumped out of the passenger seat and raced around to the drivers side of the car, gunned the engine, and took off after the girls.
By this time, the light had turned green, and we had to go forward, but I immediately looked at Matt and said,"We have to go back!" We flipped a U-turn, and turned down the street we last saw the girls. We found the guy parked outside a house going through his trunk, took note of the address, and called 911.
While we reported what we saw, I felt like there was more we could have done. I had the sickest feeling in my stomach for the rest of the night, and the image of the incident still pops in my head two days later. I was told the polie would call me back to tell me what they found, but I haven't heard back.
Why are there people in this world that prey upon the weak? Why do some women have to go through something like that and I get to have so many blessings? What about the poor little girl? She didn't hesitate, but took off running at full speed, which leads me to believe that she's had to do it before or that the situation was familiar to her. How very, very sad.
I don't know why or how I got so lucky, but I feel blessed to live in my bubble.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

How scary but good for you for trying to help!! Scary!!