Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stepping It Up




It is really hard to be out for the count when it comes to doing "mom" stuff. Matt is amazing! He works all day, gets home to dish up the kids dinner that someone thoughtfully made and dropped off for us, cleans the kitchen, gets the kids ready for bed, does laundry, helps me with all my gimpy stuff...he is incredible. The kids have really stepped up the responsibility too. Jaycie has changed more diapers these past 2 weeks than she has ever done in Joshua's lifetime. This morning Matt had to get to work early, and she changed Joshua's diaper, got him dressed head to toe, brought me breakfast, and loaded the dishwasher before school. Nicholas is also helping more. He does whatever he is asked to do with a smile and a "yep! No problem!"




He and Matt were grocery shopping earlier this week. The conversation went like this:




Matt: Nicholas, you can pick any cereal you want.


Nicholas: Any kind??!!


Matt: Sure.


Nicholas: (turns the box of Cheerios to the Nutrition Label to examine) Hmmmm.....only 140 calories per serving in here.....that seems reasonable!




Down the next aisle:


Matt: Okay buddy, pick out a box of fruit snacks.


Nicholas: (holding two boxes side by side looking at the nutrition again)....well, this one has 60 calories, and this one has 70...we want the smaller number, right??
Where does he get this stuff??


4 comments:

Aaron and crystal said...

The grocery store conversation is awesome. :)

Puerto Rican Gringa said...

Melissa I am so sorry! I wish I was there to help but I am so happy that everyone is taking care of you!

Jacqui said...

Hooray for great husbands! You got a winner. And for amazing kids. That Jaycee is going to be one of your best friends. So grateful for daughters.

Love LOVE the grocery store conversation. Way too funny!!

Amanda said...

That conversation between Nicholas and Matt really cracked me up. I have my kids trained to check the fiber in cereal (nothing under 2 grams), but I know that if they were told they could have ANYTHING, they would head for the Smor'z and Reese's Puffs.

I'm glad you are doing ok and that everyone is helping out so much. Hope you feel better soon.